Monday, March 26, 2018

You have HOW MANY PETS????

Anyone who has more than one cat or dog (or ferret or bird, or fish, etc...well. maybe not the fish) has heard this question at least a dozen times over the years.  Usually it's accompanied by a shocked expression, wide eyes, occasionally terror and almost always the thought of "Hoarders" moving through their eyes. 

I ran an all animal rescue for 15 years pre-2009.  It started as a Lhasa Apso rescue, then to a ferret and Lhasa, then to "what the hell, bring it in" rescue.  I did adopt many animals out over the years to loving forever homes; and I still hear from some of the families.  But whenever you deal with animals there are those that are unadoptable.  Sometimes it's because of abuse, often it's because of the horror of puppy mills.  But in between those dogs that make your heart sing as you watch them go off with a new mommy and daddy and the ones who break your heart because they just can't be helped is a subsection called "Unadoptable".

Sometimes these babies are unadoptable because they're just DONE with people.  They've been abused, hurt, scared, and used in vile and disgusting ways by humans and they don't care to trust again.  If a dog is aggressive and can't be helped, there is often no choice but to put it down, but if it can be safely managed, it can be listed as non-adoptable and kept for it's life, or until the perfect person jumps up and falls in love.    Then there are the ones who have health issues, disabilities or other issues which mean that just anyone isn't going to be able, or want to, deal with for the life of the animal.  Though some special people WILL adopt from these lists...

I guess unadoptable is not the right word, closer would be "Adoptable to Special People".

Anyway, that tangent was to explain this one.  I have four dogs and three cats.  Or three and a half dogs, as one is only 3 lbs.  ALL the dogs, and one of the cats are remainders of the rescue.  You think 4 is a lot of dogs?  Five years ago, before my babies began to die from old age and their medical issues, I had TEN dogs; most small dogs.  Does it take a lot of time and care? Yes.  Will I have them all long? I don't think so. Scruffy is 13, Lex is 12, Annie is between 11 and 13, depending.  All of them are suffering from the pains of age, just like I am.  We commiserate a lot.  The three pound dog I was telling you about was actually my last official rescue before I just couldn't do it anymore. He's about 5-8.   And Oscar was taken in from a family that just couldn't keep him anymore, so I guess he's a rescue, but I know his history.  

The cats aren't nearly as old, except David.  David is 11 years old, and one of the two cats I CHOSE to have.  The other chosen cat is my black cat Toothless who came from my daughter's rescue cat who came preggers.  Arch Angel was under my house until he was drawn up though a hole in the floor under the sink by Toothless. 

Now, before I get roasted, I don't advise people to take in this many animals.  You should never take in more than you can care for and that means vet care, food, shots, lisc if necessary without causing you to go without food.  If I had my choice, I have one or two dogs and one or two cats MAX.  BUT, I made my true choice all those years ago when I took these guys in.  I promised to love and care for them until the end of their lives; and I will.  I will be there at the end, if possible for every single one of them, holding them in my arms and whispering how thankful I am that they were in my life.  How much I love them, and how much fun they will have at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for me.  

I guess in the end, they ALL will break your heart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment