Thursday, March 22, 2018

Life update

"May you live in interesting times"  An old Chinese curse...or maybe blessing, at least that's what I've heard.  This last couple of weeks has proven that well.


First of all, my mom had a pain pump implanted on the 2nd of March.  Like me, she felt it was the best and only chance to get both pain relief and out of this "opiod war/War on Drugs/Chronic Pain Patients"  Her surgery went well and she went to my daughter's house (aka Club Bowen) for three days until her first post surgical meeting when they put her medication into her pump and turned it on.  Everything went ok that day, including the drive home which was hilarious.  Apparently "there were sharks and the cats were walking on water and chasing the sharks".  We stopped at WalMart and asked if she wanted anything and the comments were a bit garbled, but "I'm not functional" was clear as a bell. 


At any rate, we went to take her home and her estranged husband had locked the gate leading to the home he had abandoned for his new girlfriend; but my mother had been living there.  There was even an agreement that she would move out as soon as she found somewhere to move and they would leave her alone and NOT lock her out.  Her estranged husband was verbally abusive; spitting, snarling...he reminded me of the Tasmanian Devil.  We called the cops and they went to talk to him, but of course, he was no where to be found...I guess he doesn't really want the cops around.  '


So...mom went back to Club Bowen and tried to find a) An attorney and B) somewhere to live.  So far, she'd found neither. 


ANY ONE KNOW A GOOD ATTORNEY WHO TAKES PRO BONO CASES?  If you do, email or comment me. 


My mom is nearly 70, in bad health and recovering from surgery.  She got locked out of her home THREE DAYS AFTER SURGERY, and when asked where she should go, he estranged husband said he didn't care.  She got a meeting with the housing authority and it looks like eventually she will have a voucher.  But not for a while and Deanna's lease specifies no more than two people living in their home.  Meanwhile, I live in a two bedroom house.  The second bedroom was mostly storage, there is only one bathroom and the house has a LOT of issues.  On the other hand, it beats a bridge. 


SO we fixed the room up and Mom, her little dog Starr and her cat CoCo moved in here.  So far, so good...there have been a few issues; when I get frustrated I snap...when she gets frustrated she cries.  I hate it when someone cries and she hates to be snapped at.  BUT, the animals are getting along. I have 4 1/2 dogs (one is 3lb, he only counts as 1/2) and three cats.  (More on the critters in another post)  Her little Min Pin Starr has a habbit of snarling at the other when they get too close to her mom, but she's getting better every day.  And surprisingly my only female, Annie, immediately adopted Starr and Mom and decided that mom's room was the "Girls room/Girls Only"  The boys don't agree, but hey...things work out. 


Mom is a clean freak...I'm...well, NOT a clean freak though I've been getting better.  Mom has to deal with no closet (there is only one in the house), and none of her furniture except her bed (not the complete bed, just the base and mattress), but so far so good.... 


We've been talking about making this permanent, and it has a lot of plusses.  Lower bills for me, half the rent, a little money for my own every month...and company.  It's looking good at this point...


Besides, she's a HELL of a house cleaner!  She's gotten more done even recovering from surgery than I have in weeks.  And she cleans the cat box every day...the cats might strike if she leaves!


Sometimes "interesting times" is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment